Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default T-Bolt Fabrication

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:06:57 -0800, Roger Shoaf wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message

Maybe try and determine what T slot standard your lathe uses, you may
be able to buy the T nuts more cheaply and they will likely be case
hardened. I had a look at this recently as I made a T slot table for
the cross slide of my Harrison M300 and looked at the various T slot
sizes I had, the BP set was predominant but the size used on a 10"
Vertex rotary table won out at 7/16" T slot as far as I could tell.
IIRC there are old and new ISO standards with differing dimensions and
the inch size T slot standard. For the Vertex table that I have I made
T nuts to suit the slots and to suit the 1/2" Whitworth clamping kit
even though the T slots appear to be 7/16" spec.

I agree Enco sells Tee nuts down to 1/4 20 already heat treated.

But I've tried that, and gotten tee nuts that don't fit.

My table has a T-slot that matches what Enco sells except for the height
of the 'top' bar of the T, which must be ground down:

.---.
| |
| | this height is too big

And I can't see where they have dimensioned drawings of their tee nuts
(nor, for that matter, does a search on 'tee nut' get me a nut to fit in
a T slot).

It would be nice to get the right thing.

--
www.wescottdesign.com