Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill[_33_] Bill[_33_] is offline

Default First Thing I Ever Turned

On Dec 28, 11:07*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

So what was the first thing you ever turned on a metal lathe?

I remember very well the first thing I turned. After 25+ years, it
still sits on my desk. My first lathe was a very used SB9, with a 3
jaw, tail stock drill chuck, latern tool post and several 1/4" tool
bits. I had little to no stock at the time, so I cut off a 4in. piece
of 1 1/2 inch very rusty, very pitted round stock. I chucked it and
got the first inch turned down to shiny steel. Then faced it and
drilled it out some.

Was it useful? Well, it sits there and reminds me of my humble
beginings in the metal hobby. It also holds a couple of pens or
pencils. And it is sometimes a conversation piece. A non-machinist,
after being told what it is, will usually say: oh. A machinist-type
guy will say: OH!!!!!! Do you mind if I look at it. Yea, it has some
use.

I went on to make many enjoyable projects and repairs from there.

Bill.