Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomas Tomas is offline

Default Redoing bathtub tile

On Dec 27, 10:40*pm, Jo Ann wrote:
I just posted a response under my old "bifold door" thread, but
thought it might be a good idea to cross-post under a better subject
line. *I'm getting ready to redo/repair some tile around my bathtub.
The tub caulk needs to be redone, some of the tiles are loose, and
some of the grout is very discolored. *I kinda know what I'm doing
with tile, and what the heck, I'll never get better if I don't try.
I'm thinking I'll use my Dremel with a grout saw attachment to get the
old grout out, but thought I'd ask if there's some other way you'd
recommend. *Any other suggestions? *Also (get ready for stupid
question), when I take out the old grout, will the tiles that aren't
loose stay attached to the wall? *Or should I be prepared to redo them
as well as the already loose ones?

Jo Ann

If you have loose tiles, this could be a sign of a much bigger
problem. We are in the process of redoing a bath. We had loose tiles
that fell out and upon inspection found that the tiles were placed
directly onto "greenboard" (a big no no in wet areas). I had to tear
out all the drywall and use cement backer board. On the positive side,
with all this demo, we are doing some upgrades.