Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Redoing bathtub tile

Jo Ann wrote:
On Dec 28, 8:18 am, "
wrote:
Jo Ann wrote:
I just posted a response under my old "bifold door" thread, but
thought it might be a good idea to cross-post under a better subject
line. I'm getting ready to redo/repair some tile around my bathtub.
The tub caulk needs to be redone, some of the tiles are loose, and
some of the grout is very discolored. I kinda know what I'm doing
with tile, and what the heck, I'll never get better if I don't try.
I'm thinking I'll use my Dremel with a grout saw attachment to get the
old grout out, but thought I'd ask if there's some other way you'd
recommend. Any other suggestions? Also (get ready for stupid
question), when I take out the old grout, will the tiles that aren't
loose stay attached to the wall? Or should I be prepared to redo them
as well as the already loose ones?
Jo Ann

I redid the grout in our shower with the Dremel grout remover. It went
very well, other than for all the dust created. Need breathing and eye
protection, but no big deal. Replacing the grout, for me, was most
difficult because it takes a little muscle. Kneeling to do the lower
tiles is a bit of a chore ) Need good lighting to be sure there are
no gaps in new grout. I probably went through 3 tips for the Dremel.
Our tile is 1x4" and in a couple of spots the tiles were a tiny bit
closer to each other and narrower than the tip - the tip skipped out of
the channel and probably could have chipped or scratched the tile. Ours
is matte finish, so no scratches seen.

Be sure to tape something over the drain so's you don't drop a tool down
the drain - I did fine until I was replacing the drain cover and dropped
the screw - my husband got a telescoping rod with a magnet on the tip to
retrieve the screw )

Loose tile is worrisome, possibly a sign that the wall is wet. Don't
know for sure, but if that is the case you may need new wall. My
daughter had that problem, discovered when a guest put their arm through
the wall in getting out of the tub.

Good reminder on the drain, thanks! Yeah, wet wall is definitely one
of my worries here. If I have to replace the drywall/backer board/
whatever is behind there, I will probably be out of my depth pretty
quickly. On the plus side, I want to install a new bath/shower
faucet, so if I end up tearing the wall out, that will be a good time
to do that. Always trying to see the silver lining, LOL! It's the
only way to stay sane with an old house, I think.

Jo Ann

I've never done it, but time-wise it would probably be quicker to
replace the whole thing. That is, if you aren't taking off old tile and
cleaning adhesive and grout off of it. In my daughter's case, I wasn't
there when the wall was replaced. When it broke through, about one
third of the tiles were affected. For some reason, being wet made it
easy to get the cement/grout off the tiles...just picked it off with my
fingers. They were small, 2" tiles.

My daughter's home is a '20's bungalow...would love to do all the rehab
work. Reglazed a bunch of the windows, but they have been replaced. If
it were mine, I'd have taken apart the old ones, put new ropes, etc.