Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Timely reminder - Fan Heaters, check for hot running and clean.

TheOldFellow
wibbled on Tuesday 29 December 2009 15:22

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:25:44 +0000
Tim W wrote:

Worth a little mention I think.

Well, thanks for this and the resulting thread.

To be honest, it's not always that obvious. I just happened to be down low
one evening and glanced in the grill. Couldn't see it standing up.

I was a little dismayed that when I picked one up and put it down with a
bump, a spark flew out the front - a bit of fluff detached and lit whilst
passing the element then blew out the front. That's the way to start a
fire(!).

Can't for the life of me think why the designers would think it a good idea
to put an intake on the base - it's either going to suck crap in, or get
blocked when people place it on a shaggy rug (which some people will do).

I have a 3Kw fan heater that I am currently using while the CH zone to
my renovation-end-of-the-house is valved off. The fan needed to be left
for a few minutes to get up to speed before the heat was applied,
otherwise the fan didn't have the 'guts' to stop the element glowing.

10 mins with vac and brush, 2 drops of oil, good as new!

I take it you didn't need to dremel various tools to get the security screw
out then ;-

Jolly good - didn't expect a little thing to attract so much interest (and
flaming)

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...