Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Interior Painting Help

On Dec 28, 6:16*pm, Noah Kanter wrote:
Here's the problem: I'm trying to paint over a bright green/teal color
that hasn't been updated since the 50s, and it's on plaster walls. In
one room I've put on 2 coats of off-white, Classic 99 Sherwin Williams
paint; no primer. In that room the white has covered most of it, but
there is a blueish color leaking through.

In another room I put 1 coat of Sherwin Williams Superpaint in a
vibrant red color over the same green/teal, and this time a different
problem has come up. The coverage was much better on account of the
bright red color, but there are parts of the red walls that came up a
little lighter and splotchy when it all dried. Will another coat fix
this or will the same problems arise?

I've worked for a pro painter for a few years and he has never used
primer. On all my other jobs I've had beautiful results without
primer. However, on this job, I fear that the lack of primer may be my
downfall. I'm using high quality paint and my application methods are
not the issue.

Should I try to cover the green/teal with primer before painting any
more, or does anyone see another issue here that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for any advice!

A Pro that never used primer is no pro, some things just have to be
primed, and he didnt use primer on exterior bare wood or metal?. Did
you paint over a completely flat finish that was washed, because you
painted over oil. Get some stain hiding primer from SW, and if that
50yr old oil was glossy, you might as well strip it off.