Posted to uk.d-i-y
ransley ransley is offline

Default freezing pipes

On Dec 28, 3:37*pm, "SS" wrote:
Hi guys looking for an answer re frozen pipes.

dad in laws house lying vacant at the moment (hospitalised) and just
realised after my wife had been down, she turned the elec off, meaning the
central heating will not have been working over the last week of the cold
spell (minus 6) So good likely hood of frozen pipes. Hopefully not burst but
possibility.

My intention is to turn the water off at the mains, as I am to far distant
to go back and forth to keep an eye on it.
Is it best (assuming nothing burst) to turn off at the main and leave the
taps open to ease expansion?

Any ideas.

I would heat the house back up, make sure all faucets flow, then drain
everything even the heating system. For a short period it might be
better to just heat it as draining a heating system and refilling can
be a big job to remove all air from radiators and pipes, and unless
your house is set up right draining the water pipes can be hard, and
the water heater?.