Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:52:41 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
cshenk typed:
"fzbuilder" wrote
"Twayne" wrote:

A "ganged" 20A breaker? If one breaker resets, they both have to,
right? Is
that what you mean?
That's what it sounds like and definitely is non-code, NOT standard

because the other breaker ganged to it is holding it closed,
especially if

FZ, nice to see you are safe. Now keep safe and use the electricial.
Twayne here is really FAR off the bat.

Yes, he is "off the bat". For one thing, there is technically no such
thing as a "ganged breaker" - they are technically Double Pole
-"common trip" breakers - and if one side trips, unless someone has
tampered and put some kind of restraint on it, BOTH sides WILL trip.
If they don't, the breaker is defective.

There are also Twin breakers - or "thin-twins" that are NOT linked,
and NOT common trip, and can NOT be installed to supply 220 (or 230 or
240, whatever you want to cal it) They are supplied to get more
circuits into a panel and are illegat to use on split receptacles or
"edison" circuits under NEC2008.

Nope, not at all. You must have a comprehension issue, too. That means you
don't get the proper meaning out of the words you read, in case it's too
tekkie for you.

It's possible the overloaded breaker never will be able to overcome
the holding power of the other one, and maybe never open up but
simply keep on

Guffaw. Dangerous but funny stuff even *I* know better than.

Definitely so with a ganged breaker, which you snipped. It's been proven
physically in fact.

Hi Twayne, thanks to you all for your advice. I am having an
electrician on Monday come out if I can't fix this. I have figured
out

Electrician please and just turn off the hot tub and unplug. There's
something wrong but Twayne's advice is down right dangerous. Even the
others said get an electrician in. If not sure what a 'ganged
circuit' is or how to test it, this aint time to die learning how
based on newsgroup nitwits ok?

So did I, you poor non-comprehending dufus. It's easy to make unsupported
statements. Like, I'm not so sure you ever even graduated from grade school.
Maroon is definitely your color.