Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Best way to insulate heat duct

wrote

I have several heat ducts from my furnace in the basement which run
parallel and in between the floor joists. The basement is unheated but
maintains a temperature of about 55 degrees in the winter. Should I
wrap the ducts with a reflective insulating material for that purpose
or just nail in insulation between the joists like I was insulating an
outer wall. Does it matter?

Either would help but take special care. You probably have water pipes down
there. If your area freezes hard, you can over-insulate and end up with
busted pipe situations for the first time.