Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

In ,
Doug Miller typed:
In article , "Twayne"
wrote:
In ,
Doug Miller typed:
In article , "Twayne"
wrote:
In ,
Doug Miller typed:
In article , "Twayne"
wrote:
In
,
fzbuilder typed:
Hey Guys, I have a double 20 amp breaker that is connected to
each other. I have one side running the kitchen and one side
running the washing machine in the garage. I was told this is a
standard practice,

110Vac appliances, right?

A "ganged" 20A breaker? If one breaker resets, they both have to,
right? Is that what you mean?
That's what it sounds like and definitely is non-code, NOT
standard practice, and as you're discovering can be dangerous!
Such breakers are intended to provide 220Vac to some piece of
equpiment, NOT as you are using it, to provide two 110Vac lines.

Wrong. Google "Edison circuit". Then stop giving advice on
subjects you're
completely ignorant of.

Don't have to. Everything still stands as written in its entirety.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a ganged 20A breaker to
power two 120V circuits -- as you would learn if you took the time
to educate yourself.

Actually, I figured out just a few minutes ago what the discrepencies
between what I'm saying and what you guys are talking about are.
I'd left a voicemail for our local code enforcement officer and
decided he wouldn't be returning calls this late, but he did.
Once we got by his disdain for newsgroups, it turns out that our
local codes forbid the use of multi-wire branches. We're in far
upstate NY state. That does make me feel better since multi-wire
branches look and sound, even though there are advantages to using
them, like they are dangerous.

Only to the uninformed.

Oh yeah? And I suppose you totally ignore your local ordinances, don't you?
I have to wonder if you didn't get dinged for it, too since you consider it
such a great, wonderful thing and assumed on your own that it's what the OP
had. You become more of a dunce with every post I see of yours. You're a
real troll, I guess.

He
related the normal set of problems found 'round the 'net and a few
others I hadn't thought of. Apparently they're pretty easy to
mis-install 220V or 110V wise; hadn't thought of that. And a few
other sundries along the same lines.

Nonsense -- they're almost impossible to mis-install, if you use the
right
equipment. (And you said this is a type of circuit you "know well".)

Nonsense is right; it's extremely easy to misinstall something; I've seen it
time after time and luckily always caught it but - it's amazing the kinds of
mistakes even electricians can make. They work drunk, hung over and worse
sometimes, especially in Chgo when we lived there. I had one inspector out
to get one guy fired at one install. Hmm, that wasn't you, was it?

BTW -- it hasn't been 220/110 in the United States for a loooooong
time. It's
been 240/120 for at least the last 25 or 30 years.

I never said that wasn't so. People commonly refer to several different
numbers they see on their equipment. You're a myopic egotist from the look
of it; you post just to see yourself in writing.

Sometimes I tend to forget that NEC isn't the last word;

The NEC which you haven't read because you haven't been able to find
it
anywhere...

See, there's your assumptions again, and stated as a fact this time, which
makes it a lie. So now you're a liar, on top of everything else. You're
getting to be fun.

it's just a bible
of the minimums, so to speak. So your comment to "educate" myself is
backwards: I've been talking about OUR local codes, not specifically
the NEC so I am guilty of using an "over" educated viewpoint.

No, you are guilty of using an ignorant, uninformed, uneducated
viewpoint. You
stated, repeatedly, that Edison circuits are dangerous. That, quite
simply, is
false.

No, it's not false; you are seriously misinformed of the dangers of such
circuits. This is an exposure of an ignorance that plummets your credibility
even further than it has been. Such a ckt could only ever be "safe" if it
could never develop a fault; which it can, on top of miswiring and other
possibilities you'd know if you actually knew much about it. Knowing a buzz
word doesn't make you an expert in any way. Look it up.

And that has nothing to do with national vs. local codes.
That's an
issue only of truth vs. falsehood. There is nothing inherently
dangerous about
a properly installed Edison circuit, your uninformed delusions to the
contrary notwithstanding.

Until a fault arises. Neutral pops off a stressed outlet with a poor
mechanical connect, improperly protected by a ganged breaker, etc. etc.
etc.. It's much more dangerous than other ckts given even the same faults
in many instances. Your ignorance must really be bliss. ALL of the
following make perfect sense and come from the first page of google hits.
Audiophiles just abhor them!

http://www.phy.ornl.gov/divops/ESH/98-2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_neutral
http://www.mikeholt.com/technical.ph...hrough%20 240