Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Recommendations for flooring material to go on top of a trap door?

"CraigT" wrote

easiest way to access the filter. Now comes the hard part. I need to
install some sort of finished floor material to the 3/4" plywood that can
withstand the rigors of this setup. My first choice would be vinyl sheet
goods, but I'm worried it will eventually peel and curl. The area of
this trap/access door will see a fair amount of traffic because it will be
in front a doorway going into the kitchen from the laundry room. Any
ideas?

It's a laundry room. I'd use some of the outdoor carpets on the market in
solid 'cut to fit' sheets. Take a peek, it's a lot more than just 'looks
like green grass' now. My sunroom has a nice berber version. If it gets
wet, it isn't damaged by it. Probably cheaper and easier than laying vinyl
tile and will likely wear better too. (Cover the trap better too).

Just lay it over things. No need to nail it down. Peel back when needed to
access the trap.