Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] jbslocum@gmail.com is offline

Default [OT] Fast, Fun Unclogging

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:10:37 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:20:46 -0800, Winston
wrote:

I unclogged a toilet just now by dumping a coffee pot of hot water into the bowl.

Took about 10 seconds for the heated water to work it's magic on
the clog. Then the flush completed in a very satisfying manner.

That was 'way faster and more fun than getting out Mr. Auger.

--Winston -- Going back to Pedro's for lunch!

Don't try that if you aren't prepared to replace it - Thermal Shock
and unequal thermal expansion stresses can do wonderful things to
ceramics...

Modern facilities are 'way stouter than that.

I've spalled ceramics before. It took 3000 F for several seconds
concentrated on ~ 1" square.

+60 F pk evenly applied over ~ 60 square inches for ~ 10 seconds is
hardly in the same ballpark, yes?

If it was, one would expect to see pots exploding underneath
people all the time. (No, I'm not going to do those experiments.)

--Winston

Errr.... The bathroom sink (the one you run hot water in to shave) is
likely made by the same people that made the "throne". Are we to stop
shaving with hot water because of "thermal fear"? Or, perhaps the
threat of fracture is being over stated?

Regards,

J.B.