Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default freezing pipes

SS formulated the question :
Hi guys looking for an answer re frozen pipes.

dad in laws house lying vacant at the moment (hospitalised) and just realised
after my wife had been down, she turned the elec off, meaning the central
heating will not have been working over the last week of the cold spell
(minus 6) So good likely hood of frozen pipes. Hopefully not burst but
possibility.

My intention is to turn the water off at the mains, as I am to far distant to
Is it best (assuming nothing burst) to turn off at the main and leave the
taps open to ease expansion?

I would suggest turn the water off at the stop tap and open the taps to
let it all drain down. There might also be a possibility of the heating
system having frozen. If you are sure that has thawed out without any
leaks, it might be worth just leaving that on at a very low setting on
the room stat, to prevent any future freeze ups.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)