Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Paring Chisels...

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:40:03 +1100, the infamous Noons
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote,on my timestamp of 28/12/2009 12:07 PM:

Thanks for the clarification! I have only used a 25 degree bevel, and
those get used for mortices, dovetails, and whatever else I feel
like. Wooden mallet applied as needed.

Go easy on the mallet at 25 degrees, rich. Too low for any serious whacking.

Yeah, tap, don't whack those.

I picked up one of the Shop Fox urethane mallets and absolutely adore
it. (Hey, guys, I finally found a urinestain product I liked!)

They're good but the leather ones are still my "first-reach".

Kinky! Leather mallet? Oh, you meant "rawhide", dincha?

I think I will sharpen the secondary set at 35 degrees plus today,
or whatever the guide will allow. I suspect I have been "mis-using"
my chisels since I started woodworking. Like using a diamond scribe
for a center punch in metal working.

CRINGE! Don't ever say that over on RCM! (rec.crafts.metalworking)

Ouch! That hurt! Almost like screeching chalk on the black board...
Dang, both of you just reminded me to go back in the workshop and finish
separating the metal working section completely from the woodworking one.
Almost there but still a few things to sort out.

Ayup. One doesn't want grinder sparks in the sawdust, EVER!

On the mis-use: there is no such thing, rich. If it worked for you, then
probably you were OK. But it's an excellent idea to have some at 25, some at
35. I've ruined too many superb japanese 25s to risk it anymore. Now they're
strictly for hand paring. A cheaper set at 35 does most of the grunt work.

Shame on you, Noons! I never got the Japanese bug, preferring that I
can use a U.S. chisel down to the nub, while a Jap cutter is only 1/4"
long or so before you're into soft iron. I inherited one (12mm #3
gouge) and keep it safe.

Santa is bringing a lathe from Grizzley, so I'll have to learn
about that next.

That's a whole 'nother set of books and tool descriptions there, rich.

Oh man! I still haven't opened my lathe from the box I got it from...
Went to a wood turning intro class a while ago and it completely threw me inside
out. There is some awful nice stuff to do with a lathe. Although mine was
initially destined to make wooden lens opening tools!
(Yeah, I know: sad...)

I never did get the turning bug. I guess I can thank my astigmatism
for that. I spent $10 on a lathe and $10 on a pair of 1/3hp motors
once at a San Diego Fine Woodworker's swapmeet. I oil the lathe
bushings before use, but it still makes noise.

At least I can make bow-saur snort and file handles with it. g

--
"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things
that money can buy." --Tom Clancy