Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_3_] Bob Minchin[_3_] is offline

Default Timely reminder - Fan Heaters, check for hot running and clean.

Tim W wrote:
Worth a little mention I think.

Noticed two of my fan heaters were running cherry red on parts of the
element, whihc is not normal for my ones. Obviously a bit scunged up, so
after adapting some screwdrivers and torx bits to get round the damnable
security screws I took each one apart for a good clean up.

Scunged up was an understatement. One had a nearly continuous but thin mat
of fluff across the back of the element block. 2 others were going that way
of which one had stopped working. The last, an ancient second hand one was
merely a little dusty.

Simple enough job, bar the security screws. Managed to fix the broken one -
it was the only one without a melting type thermal fuse - it had a set of
bimetallic contacts instead, which I think may have operated and then got
some ****e lodged in between the contacts.

Worth a check if you have a fan heater or two running somewhere and haven't
already thought to do so.

The 3 that were clagging up had air intakes on the base as well as the top
which seems to be a fundamentally bad idea. The dusty one was top intake
only, and made by Honeywell.

Honeywell seem to have the best internal engineering, though they were all
pretty solidly built bar the stupid design decision.

Good point Tim!

I fired one up the other day and it was a bit noisy. Usually I just blow
it through wit the airline but I had some spare time (A bonus of being
retired now - time to do jobs properly!). I gave it a clean up inside
and a few drops of oil on the fan bushes. I'd forgotten how quiet it
used to be. I immediately overhauled the second one too with similar
results.

Bob