Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove ceiling "popcorn" from sandblasted glass?

On Dec 28, 2:46*am, "DanG" wrote:
Bob?, let off will you? *The stuff is a water soluble goop with
ground up corn cobs to make little lumps. *When it gets wet, it
falls off. *There is no paint, there is no need for paint remover,
paint remover is way way overkill unless there was a paint
problem, paint remover doesn't do a good job of softening or
removing latex enamels anyway. *Forget the paint remover.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 27, 12:22 am, "benick" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 9:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:04 pm, "Steve B"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

On Dec 26, 1:02 pm, "WW" wrote:

"TNSTAAFL" wrote in
message

We have an exterior entry door with several leaded glass
panels -
the
leaded glass is sandblasted - the glass panels picked up
some
overspray
when we were having the entryway area remodeled - we'll
be
re-painting
the
wood sections of the door, but before we do that, what's
the best
way
remove the "popcorn" material from the glass sections?
The leaded
glass
won't take a lot of scraping or pressure. THANKS!
What Dan and benick said. ww- Hide quoted text -

Paint remover very carefully applied.

reply:

DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT. Idiot. It's water based. Water
dissolves it.
There is no way to "carefully" apply paint remover.

Doofus.- Hide quoted text -

Where does the OP say the overspray was water-based?? I have
applied
paint remover using a paint brush to do almost exactly what
the OP
proposes to do.

reply: I don't believe I have ever seen "popcorn" that wasn't
water based
drywall mud paste with styrofoam additives. I could be wrong,
though. I
was once before, too.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Well, that doesn't make me an idiot or a doofus!

Yes it does....If the OP listened to your stupid advice he would
be
re-painting trim as well.....Popcorn is made with joint compound
, texture
spray mix , water and white flat wall paint...ALL water
washable....- Hide quoted text -

I guess I'm confused. *Why would the OP HAVE to repaint the trim
if he
appplied the paint remover only to the glass? *I said in the
original
response to apply the paint remover carefully. *The OP also said
that
they were going to repaint anyway. *Read the original post if you
don't believe me.- Hide quoted text -

If the "popcorn" is really put on with a water-soluble matrix, then
just water/soapy water will work. But the OP didn't say exactly what
had been used and there are several types of"popcorn" ceiling.