Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default box fill calcs - am I doing this right?

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:
Am trying to properly plan attack on wiring...

want to use fan rated boxes for ceiling boxes in 2 (eventually 3) bedrooms

from this site:

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...?FAM=RacoBoxes

looks like a 2-1/8" deep octagon box is 21.5 in^2

Ten 14ga conductors @ 2 in^3, or nine 12ga @ 2.25 in^3.

cable coming in = 2 conductors
cable to next ceiling box = 2 conductors
switch leg = 3 conductors (I hate pull chains)

Why 3 conductors for a switch leg, not 2?

ground = 1
wires to light fixture = 2 (most ceiling fans have canopies, otherwise
I'd have to allow 3 for a possible future fan)

Fixture wires don't count.

clamps = 1

so my total is 11 "conductors"

9

looks like this doesn't work? 11x 14AWG conductors requires 22 in^2?

Right, but you have at most 9, and probably less.

Even worse, at some point I have to tap off for the receps... guess I
have to do that in the hallway with a regular box and extension ring?

am I missing something? My wiring doesn't seem all that unusual, and I
*really* am trying to avoid having to use boxes in the attic, that's
what prompted the "all right, let's just go ahead and repull this"
exercise in the first place (am still trying to complete my sketch of
how all the existing wiring is run, need to go back up and double check
a few things...)

Am thinking perhaps I don't have to allow for the clamps since the box
uses knockouts and the clamp is physically outside of the box?

That's corrrect -- if the clamp is outside the box, it's not counted in
what's inside the box..