Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Strange LCD repair outcome

snip

was white before failure.

Has anyone experienced the video processor taking a hit when the SMPS
goes west with faulty caps? Clearly the unit doesn't warrant pursuing
a video chip replacement, and thereare no signs of distress on the
video board.

Maybe something you did while servicing? I wouldn't look for faulty
caps in the smps to cause anything but a fail of the smps.

For the most part, I would agree with that, but I have had a few cases of
cheapo DVD players, where a bulging secondary side cap, has caused the rail
which is used as the regulation reference (often the 5V) to drop, which has
resulted in the supply trying to compensate by widening the drive pulses,
which has in turn resulted in the 12V rail rising, which has then led to
other circuitry getting ****ted ...

Arfa