Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Paring Chisels...

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:59:58 -0800, the infamous Zz Yzx
scrawled the following:

I keep hearing about using a "paring chisel" on a TV show, that
seems to be sharper than a scapel, able to shave end grain by the
foot, etc. Never used with a mallet, just hand pressure. Is this
just a chisel with a 25 degree bevel???

I have two sets, one from Lee Valley that I have at 25 degrees. I
have another set that I'm thinking of grinding at 30-35 degrees for
removing mortices and other heavier work. Then keeping the Lee Valley
ones for "paring work"? Is this the way to go??? Or do I need to go
looking for a specific "paring chisel"???

Any help will be appreciated.....

Also, paring chisels are often longer in overall length to make the
"pairing" more efficient.

Can you say "James Swan slick"? I knew you could. drool I wasn't
able to wrestle one away from a retired old salt, but I did manage to
get a Satanley #10 in decent shape from him. Thanks, Dave (Fleming,
an old Wrecker from a decade back.)

--
"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things
that money can buy." --Tom Clancy