Ed Sirett

Default Pilot light problems

Bob Minchin wrote:

Thee_Psycho wrote:

As you seem to be an expert on pilot lights any idea why the ones on my
cooker tend to keep firing? My gril is a grill / oven if you put it in to
oven mode the pilot light is automatically trigged, if its the grill i have
to do it manually. However its now decided when you put it to grill to fire,
and keep firing, only way to get it to stoop is not to use the grill on full
heat!

I assume from your post that the pilot lights are not meant to be on all the
time? So what controls them? If it is an electrical/electronic circuit; perhaps
there could be a spillage that has got into the switch or perhaps some grease?
If the pilots are actuall lighting - this would indicate gas being present when
it should not be.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but the last gas cooker I had was as a child 40
plus years ago and this had a single central constant pilot light.

By "automatically triggered" I think you mean that you hear ignition
clicks which light the pilot light (and in due course allow the full
flow of gas)?

Cookers tend to be in one of two designs:
Either there is one manually operated knob for lighting all the burners.
Or on the better models each knob operates it's own sparker which is no
longer heard when the flame has lit because the flame shorts the sparker
out, (or maybe there is some electronics tyo detect this and stop the
spark unit).
Some models are half way between these design with an 'automatic
ignition' for the grill/over and manual for the hob burners.

I think it is likely that there is a fair bit of gunge on the oven/grill
knob which is now interfering with the switch for the ignition on same.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk