Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default Paring Chisels...

I keep hearing about using a "paring chisel" on a TV show, that
seems to be sharper than a scapel, able to shave end grain by the
foot, etc. Never used with a mallet, just hand pressure. Is this
just a chisel with a 25 degree bevel???

I have two sets, one from Lee Valley that I have at 25 degrees. I
have another set that I'm thinking of grinding at 30-35 degrees for
removing mortices and other heavier work. Then keeping the Lee Valley
ones for "paring work"? Is this the way to go??? Or do I need to go
looking for a specific "paring chisel"???

Any help will be appreciated.....

Also, paring chisels are often longer in overall length to make the
"pairing" more efficient.

-Zz