Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

On Dec 27, 10:37*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 03:24:59 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:40:52 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

BTW -- it hasn't been 220/110 in the United States for a loooooong time.

It's
been 240/120 for at least the last 25 or 30 years.

Actually you are wrong too. It is by definition 115/230 and in reality
USUALLY from 115 to 117 per side.

Guess again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_p...ound_the_world

lists both Canada and the U.S. as 120/240.

Well, I monitor the voltage on my home office power as well as at a
customer site and it is very consistent at 115-117 volts at both
sites. Has been for years. *This is in urban Waterloo Ontario and
Kitchener Ontario.

And what comes into your house must there be the standard. :-)

Also virtually every motor or electrical device sold in North America
for residential use is rated at 115 or 230 volts.

Not true.

A quick random sample of half a dozen of my portable power tools and kitchen
appliances shows five marked "120V" and one marked "120V only". In fact, the
only thing I could find in the house that's marked for 115 is an electric
clock that to my certain knowledge is _at least_ forty years old.

In industrial and large multi unit residential applications with 3
phase power it is 120/208. Virtually everywhere else in Ontario, at
least, it is 115/230 single phase.

And therefore it's the same everywhere?- Hide quoted text -

What are the USA and Canadian limits for voltage variation from a
nominal of say 117 volts?

For exam[ple:
Using 117v as a base;
Minus 5% = 111.15 (say 112v RMS)
Plus 10% = 128.70 (say 129v RMS)

And as mentioned in some installations the higher voltage can be
either 230/115 volt (Usually domestically) or 208/115 (most likely
commercially and/or from 3 phase supply).

We have electric baseboard heaters that came, marked; 1200 watts at
230 volts, 970 watts at 208 volts. (The V squared divided by R = W
thing)