Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

On Dec 26, 11:56*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , terry wrote:

Forget the insults. Something (anything) getting hot, as described, IS
NOT SAFE; whatever the reason.

Of course it is -- which is why I told the OP, shortly after he posted this,
to "Call an electrician NOW". I hope he took that advice.

Thanks Doug.

I'd hate to live with some of wiring described in this thread!
'Splitting apart a breaker etc.' on a circuit with 230 volt wiring!
Sheesh!!!!**

Reading between the lines, of the OP, one suspects something is
seriously overloaded (e.g. hot tub with big 230 volt electric heaters
and pumps etc.) maybe tacked on to an existing circuit and somebody
dangerously adding larger breakers? But that's not Edison circuit
outlets; AIUI?

BTW: First learnt they were called 'Edison' circuits on this news
group many years ago.
But had wired them before that; especially in our first house (1960).

We did it to obtain greater capacity from many of our duplex outlet
circuits and to allow the possibility of adding small (less that 1500
watt) auxiliary heaters later. Back then power was not reliable and we
depended then on a oil fired heater that did not require electrcity to
run. Fifteen years later and now today the power is extremely reliable
has no brown-outs and is almost 100% water power generated a few
hundred miles away. That first house still in use without electrical
problems to it's fourth owner. This current house (1970s) is all-
electric.

We recently rewired a relatives garage. He has provided himself with
120 and and 230 volt outlets and with separate 230 volt outlets/
circuits for a small welder and a compressor. On advice from his work
mates, who include industrial electricians, he has provided a sub/pony
circuit breaker panel in the garage fed from the main house panel via
(IIRC) a 60 amp breaker and has the properly sized wiring and breakers
in the sub panel.

We also improved the garage ceiling lighting (leaving that on entirely
separate breakers) and well below limits for #14 AWG 15 amp along with
door opener); still wired in same manner as house was bought. Lights
will stay on even if the 'working' sub panel were to trip.

** Which reminds me; we printed up and attached a warning label other
day because discovered in this house we have one box that has the live
wires from 'two different breakers in it'! Must investigate but seems
to have the wiring for some 115 volt outlets on one breaker and a 230
volt heater via wall thermostat from another breaker also. Will also
put wire into separate boxes asap. Do this because someone other than
myself may unwittingly work on that box some day!