Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default Electronic Transformer recommendations for a very small load i.e. 20W

"NT" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 3:03 pm, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in

In article ,
Simon Stroud wrote:
So, any recommendations for any different transformers, ideally in the
Screwfix range, that you have successfully used with a 20W load?
Screwfix do 5 or 6 different ones that all say "20-60W" so maybe
another type may be better that the ones I have. They don't do any that
go down to, say, 10W minimum, which would be more ideal.

Dunno about screwfix, but a proper transformer will work with a small
load
- although the voltage may be a bit high. But TLC list both those and
electronic ones which apparently have no minimum load.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_T...

--
*That's it! I'm calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks Dave, might give TLC a go - haven't bought from them for a while.
Unfortunately the best looking ones there are out of stock but will have a
look in a few days time.

I did think about just using a traditional toroidal transformer from
Maplin
or similar - they did a suitable potted one, but that's now discontinued.
They still do some bare 30VA ones which might be OK if I'm desperate -
they
would certainly work with my small load.

Regards,
Simon.

Why do you think the problem is too small a load? If it says it works
ok with 20w, it should, or something's faulty.

You can also use a toroidal or EI transformer, the latter are common
in any electronic parts catalogue. But with these you should use a
lamp wattage close to the max transformer rating, or the voltage will
rise and the lamps not last well

Well, when I put a load of 30W on this particular transformer it works
perfectly. With 10W it goes dim and flickery. With 20W (2x10W or a single
20W lamp) it ALMOST works OK but occasionally goes flickery - that suggests
to me that it's "only just working" at 20W. As you say it might be faulty,
so I'll take this one back to Screwfix and try a different type.

Regards,
Simon.