Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Paring Chisels...

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 02:10:07 -0800 (PST), the infamous rich
scrawled the following:

Hi All,

I keep hearing about using a "paring chisel" on a TV show, that
seems to be sharper than a scapel, able to shave end grain by the
foot, etc. Never used with a mallet, just hand pressure. Is this
just a chisel with a 25 degree bevel???

Marples Blue Chips are paring chisels. (Thin, lightweight) They can be
used with a chisel or by hand force in a shearing action. NEVER pry
with a chisel (other than a mortiser.) Paring chisel tips will break
right off, and that's super bad karma.

"Learn to Scary Sharpen(tm) hand tools and you'll never go
hungry."(tmLJ)

I have two sets, one from Lee Valley that I have at 25 degrees. I
have another set that I'm thinking of grinding at 30-35 degrees for
removing mortices and other heavier work. Then keeping the Lee Valley
ones for "paring work"? Is this the way to go??? Or do I need to go
looking for a specific "paring chisel"???

Any help will be appreciated.....

Mortising chisels are beefy bastids. Paring chises are much lighter in
weight and shape. Firmer chisels are firmer. snicker Try your
local library (or Amazon/eBay) for hand tool books by authors such as
Aldren Watson, Toshio Odate, and Alex Bealer for hand tool selection.
http://fwd4.me/9Y0 , http://fwd4.me/9Y2 , http://fwd4.me/9Y3

I bought Odate's book for myself for Christmas and haven't yet read
it. I'll sit down with his Shoji book sometime soon, too. My "To Be
Read" book stack is down to fewer than 100 right now! (I caught up and
read a lot while resting with the broken finger this year.)

--
"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things
that money can buy." --Tom Clancy