Posted to alt.home.repair
Jo Ann Jo Ann is offline

Default Intro and bifold door question

On Dec 26, 11:13*pm, Red Green wrote:
Jo Ann wrote in news:5d370c4f-7d3d-491f-b2c6-
:

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the group, relatively new homeowner of a relatively
old home (late 1800s). *I'm not an especially skilled DIY'er, but not
a complete idiot, either. *Needless to say, with an old house to
maintain, I learn more every day!

snip

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Late 1800's, wow. I bet that place has a lot of character.

I hope this group can help you get some of your issues resolved. The one
thing to keep in mind throughout is many of the basic principals the we
(I for one) take for granted will not even apply to your home. So, if
someone suggests something to you based on what we see in our mind and
what we said doesn't make sense when you are actually looking at it,
there may be a good reason.

A friend of mine has a house that is like 150 years old and has told me
some stories. Fishing wire for instance is a PITA normally. Try doing it
through an 8x8 or 12x12.

There are people in this NG that have older homes but of course, the
further back you go the fewer number of experienced people who have
actually dealt with it.

Best of luck. You won't run out of things to do I suspect. Then again,
maybe you bought it totaly redone and the only issue that remains is that
door:-)

Just my welcome and .02
Red...

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, it does have a lot of character, which
keeps me in love with it even when I get frustrated. It's a "folk
Victorian" -- two-story symmetrical design, wrap-around fancy-spindled
porch, beautiful hardwood floors, mostly original Eastlake-style wood
trim (almost all heavily painted, sigh...). A lot of it was redone
before I bought it, some in ways I agree with and some not
(surprising how easy it is to live with the "nots" with so many things
begging for attention, though). It is mostly 12 x 12 construction and
you are SO right about it being a PITA at times. Every time I do
something, I learn more about its original quirks as well as assorted
attempts and errors of repair/remodeling made by many previous
owners. My big project last summer was turning a badly executed 3-
season room remodel back into a screen porch. Biggest ongoing project
is plumbing replacement, ugh. Cast iron, galvanized, copper, plastic
-- anything that's been used for plumbing in 100 years is under my
house somewhere!

But at least my bifold door is working again

Jo Ann