Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:05:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Twayne" wrote:
Mmm, I shold probably direct YOU to the reread and who said what. I did not
even come close to using the phrase "Edison Ciruit" until someone magically
inserted it into the thread.

True -- you described one, without knowing what it was called, and said that
double-pole breakers weren't supposed to be used "to provide two 110 vac
lines" (which is absolutely false).

Then, since I know such circuits fairly well,

!!!

In another post, you say you've never actually had your hands on a double-pole
breaker -- so how in the world do you know *anything* about an Edison
circuit??

Perhaps he is familiar with them in a "fused" panel? My house has at
least 3 "edison circuits" and not a single breaker, ganged or
otherwise. What it DOES have is double fuse "pullouts" which. by the
way, can NOT be accidentally installed so that both circuits are on
the same "leg" of the service.
Unfortuneately, in the vast majority of breaker panels, improper
installation is VERY easy, resulting in the situation where the
neutral carries twice (actually the sum of) the individual circuit
current when both circuits are loaded.

When installed this way - they ARE dangerous.

Our local code, last time I checked, allowed "edison" circuits ONLY
for "split" receptacles, and those "split" receptacles were restricted
to a single area. IE, one "edison circuit" could feed (split) kitchen
countertop receptacles and, for instance, an over counter light IN THE
KITCHEN, but could not be extended to the bathroom next to the
kitchen.

A ganged breaker (or fuse pullout) can also be used on a non-edison
circuit to act as a "disconnect" to either a sub-panel or to 2
circuits serving a particular area/function for safety or convenience
purposes. For example, to kill ALL power to a basement, a garage, a
shed, or a particular room which is served by 2 circuits.
In this application it would be perfectly legal and safe to have the 2
circuits on the same "leg" (note I do not refer to them as "phases")
of the service.
[snip]