Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Intro and bifold door question

On Dec 26, 8:33*pm, "Mark" wrote:
"Jo Ann" wrote in message

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the group, relatively new homeowner of a relatively
old home (late 1800s). *I'm not an especially skilled DIY'er, but not
a complete idiot, either. *Needless to say, with an old house to
maintain, I learn more every day!

My current issue is a bifold single door that will only open about
halfway. *It's not off the track and doesn't visually appear to have
anything wrong, but when I try to fold it open more than about
halfway, it resists and feels sort of "sprung." *I can force it back
all the way by pushing on it really hard, but it won't stay. *It
doesn't drag or stick, opens smoothly to about halfway. *It happened
suddenly -- opened it once and it worked fine, opened it the next time
and it wouldn't open all the way. *It feels as if there is something
caught behind it keeping it from opening all the way, but there's
nothing there. *It's the kind that hangs from a plastic/nylon roller
in the top track and pivots on the lower corner (no track on the
bottom). *I've had a lot of bifold doors before and thought I knew
every way they could go wrong, but this is a new one on me. *Any
ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

There are several designs to bifolds, so a lot depends on how yours is
built. *Mine are attached on a pivot at the *'fixed' jam side, and then have
a single pin that rides in the track at the other side, with a spring in the
track at the open end that puts tension on the door when it is closed to
keep it closed. * It sounds like yours is on a closet, so check that there
is nothing like a coat or shirt sleeve that might be getting in the way on
the fixed side of the door when it opens. *It might not be obvious once you
have the door open.

If this isn't the case, check the track at the open end to see if there is a
spring and it is working as you'd expect. *It could be out of place, or bent
and causing the door to bind when opening if the spring is in a certain
position where as it might not bind if it is positioned slightly
differently. *Look in the track to be sure a mounting screw isn't loose and
catching on the door in some way.

Is the floor surface carpeted? *Check that the bottom of the door isn't
catching on something.

It has to be something that you can see if you watch closely. *Next time it
gets stuck, stop and check it out closely. *You should be able to see
something.- Hide quoted text -

Be sure to let us know what you find!