Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default What's your favorite "stuck bolt" removal process?

"Steve B" wrote in message

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
The other day, a guy asked me how to remove stuck bolts. It was a
general question; he didn't have a specific problem at that moment.
As I started to answer him, I kept having to backtrack, explaining that
a particular situation begets a particular range of solutions.

That got me to thinking about how pervasive this problem is to modern man
and how uncomfortable I am when I have to go about it.

So, I put up a webpage that focuses on simply defining the problem:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/StuckFasteners.html

Right now I am in the process of reviving an old Onan 6.5KW RV-style
generator set and it has numerous stuck bolts. Some of them are steel
bolts, about 1/4-20 in size, stuck into aluminum. There is lots of rust.
In my googling around I have found references to "Bolt Extractor
Sockets".
Have any of you folks tried them and what have your experiences been?

And, what is YOUR favorite "stuck bolt" removal process?

Pete Stanaitis

PB Blaster. If that don't work, go to plan B. Let it sit for 24 hours,
and apply more than once if it looks like it evaporated off.

Steve

I am way late in this thread but I thought this was an interesting forum
post release agents:

http://www.ott-motorcycles.ca/index.php?topic=42258.0

3rd post down: The acetone+ATF mixture has everything beat including the
price.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC