Wolf Lahti

Default A Gloat or Did I Get Screwed?

In article ,
"PM6564" wrote:

A guy came into work a few days ago. He's a scrounger. If you want
something just ask and in a few days he'll have it for you. I asked him if
he could get a hold of some red oak. He said to give him a few days. On
Thursday he comes in and hands me a piece of barn board. It's 4 feet long
and about 6" wide. I take it out to the shop and run a plane over it. Sure
enough it's read oak. He says the guy has a couple of hundred of them and
he wants a buck a piece. Quick calculation shows about .50 a board foot.
It'll plane down to 3/4". I tell him OK

On Friday he shows up with a trailer loaded to the gills. HOLY CRAP!!
Where am I going to put all that? Now this is the part where I think that I
may have gotten screwed. The board he showed me was 4 feet long. The ones
on the trailer are all 7 to 9 feet long.

Let's see...268 boards. Average 8' long. Average 6" wide. About 1078
board feet. $268.00 Hmmmm about .25 a board foot...

Sorry to say, but there's little doubt that you got screwed. I'm
surprised you were able to be taken in by such an obvious
bait-and-switch tactic.

I suppose you could sue the scrounger for misrepresentation, but all the
money would just end up going to the lawyers. I suggest you cut your
losses and give the oak to me.