Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Drill Bits

Zootal wrote:
wrote in message
In ,
typed:
wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Can someone give me a quick primer on drill bits? All I think I
know is that high speed steel is the worst. Carbide tips are good.
Where do cobalt and black oxide fit into the mix? My interest in
is "standard" drill bits for thin metals and wood rather than
masonry. My Craftsmen sets are showing their age and wear. Where is a
good
place to buy drill bits? Should I look at an industrial supplier
rather than a retailer?

IME yes. I have some regular old HSS bits from McMaster-Carr and
haven't had any issues with them in light use. The nice thing
about HSS is that they can be resharpened.

If your Craftsman bits are just old and dull, you might try
sharpening them rather than buying new ones.

nate

You and Steve made the same suggestion, but that doesn't solve the
problem of my missing bits from my set!

eBay is your friend. Cheap drill bits are easy to find, but quality
ones are out there also. Or visit your local hardware store. Even
HomeDepot carries good drill bits. And definitely get a good drill
bit sharpener. I have one and I love it! Even cheap drill bits can be
easily sharpened and given a new lease on life.

Ebay is simply a tool which gives results dependent on the expertise of
the user and how well they read the manual. It's not a "friend". In fact,
without excercising care and RTFM it's one of the easiest places there is
to get screwed.

Twayne

Life is like that in general, is it not? No matter where you go and what you
do, your results depend on your expertise, and if you are not cautious you
can easily end up screwed.

Speak for yourself if you wish, but eBay is my friend, and with a little
care and experience, it can be the friend of the OP. It it is a good place
to find drill bits.

Hmm,
Define friend. I use eBay a lot but it is not a friend.