Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

trader4@ wrote
"Twayne" wrote:
fzbuilder typed:

(snips)

If that were true, the same problem would exist with ANY double ganged
breaker, regardless of what it is hooked to.

Yup. I have the top 8 (4 on each side, has a little '30' showing) ganged in
sets of 2.

2/4- Dryer

1/3- Range (once electric, this one now relabeled Garage and runs a 240 for
previous owners power tools, left in 'off' position' except when a few
contractors needed it. Works fine when turned on)

5/7- HVAC

6/8- Old AC (a 240 outlet near the ceiling where once a wall 'whole house
AC' was, also 'off' but tests fine)

Nothing else is ganged but that doesnt mean it's not done but wrongly marked
(which is against code I gather). The few times and electrician worked on
our house though, they've not found any circuits that were not as they
should be, just that some are still older 2 prongs and to fix thse areas of
the house, they need to snake new wires (assume ground which is in place in
part of the house but not all?).

Due to lack of background experience, this is one thing Don and I do not
DIY. There's a time when it's best to get a professional. This is one of
them. We are sure all the bad stuff the Bos'un who owned the house before
us has been removed or *properly* dead ended (electrician used to check
all). What we need to do is fix the remaining ones to 3 prong *properly*
(system ready for it and about 2/3 of the house uses it) then have 4 lines
run to the back porch to properly handle a portion of the now dead ended
outlets out there. Foolish Bos'un had run 19 outlets off only 2 lines on
the back porch. They've been properly detached leaving only 4 correctly
done ones working.

Electrician said we have plenty of excess and don't even need to sub-panel
if that is all we want although that would be very easy. Apparently the
original 100 amp panel (in a bedroom closet, nothing hooked to it now) can
be easily re-vamped in which case he'd re-string all the back porch and
lights across the back of the house off it. What that sub-panel will do
apparently is let him easier (cheaper) add also more outlets to the kitchen
plus properly power even more of the detached 15 back porch outlets.

We are pondering options. No rush. Just looking over where we want new
outlets added (neither bathroom has an outlet).