Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default threadjack - old receps was Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:57:21 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 21:40:41 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:20:30 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:53:44 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[snip]

Which reminds me of something I was curious about - I've seen in
older houses (predating grounded wiring) some duplex receps that have
two vertical slots, like a modern NEMA 5-15R without the ground pin,
but also a horizontal slot for *both* the hot and neutral side. Not
knowing the proper name/designation of these I can't find a pic, but
hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. What was the purpose
of the two horizontal slots?

thanks

nate
I've seen those a lot in old houses, but have no idea what those are
for. Could this be the missing 2-15R on the NEMA charts? Possibly some
240V heating appliances would work on 120V (just not heat as much)?
2-15
It is not missing everywhere

http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm
I didn't say 2-15, I said 2-15R. That is missing from the table you
linked to. Only 2-15P is there.

If you have the plug, you get a pretty good idea what the receptacle
looks like.

But isn't that a 240VAC plug? what purpose would it serve to have it fit
in a 120V (well, at the time likely 110, and it was 220V plug) receptacle?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I find those receptacles listed in a 1925 Westinghouse catalog, which I
assume predates NEMA. Some are rated at 10 amps 250 volts, others are rated
10 amps 250 volts - 15 amps 125 volts, however the receptacles are
identical. I suppose, back in 1925 you needed to know how it was wired
before you plugged into it.