Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Smelly fireplace

On Dec 23, 4:11*pm, Arkadiy wrote:
Hi *all,

I have a fireplace located on the outside wall of my house (the
chimney is brick). *Whenever I use it, it it drafts beautifully, and
doesn't smell at all.

However, once the fire stops, and the fireplace cools down, I get an
awfull backdraft, and my house smells nasty for many days after that.

I have a top-seal damper and glass doors (although not too tight
ones). *I have them open when the fire is on, and close both when the
fireplace cools down).

I browsed the web, and found out how awfull outside chimneys are, and
how they by design prone to problems similar to mine due to the stack
effect, etc. *However I didn't find a lot of advice on how to correct
the issue. *This kind of surprises me, since I see lots of houses with
outside chimneys (much more than with inside ones). *Do all that
people have the same problem?

Should I forget about it and just stop using the fireplace?

Thanks in advance,
Arkadiy

COuld be your house is sealed too tightly and it is getting combustion
air from the house. When the fire goes out the partial vacuum created
in the house sucks air back down the chimney. I used to open my ash
cleanout a bit to solve this.

Jimmie