Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default threadjack - old receps was Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:53:44 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[snip]

Which reminds me of something I was curious about - I've seen in older
houses (predating grounded wiring) some duplex receps that have two
vertical slots, like a modern NEMA 5-15R without the ground pin, but
also a horizontal slot for *both* the hot and neutral side. Not knowing
the proper name/designation of these I can't find a pic, but hopefully
someone knows what I'm talking about. What was the purpose of the two
horizontal slots?

thanks

nate

I've seen those a lot in old houses, but have no idea what those are
for. Could this be the missing 2-15R on the NEMA charts? Possibly some
240V heating appliances would work on 120V (just not heat as much)?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster