Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default chainsaw chain

Wayne, I'm not sure what the question is. Yes, chainsaws get hot,
the chain expands, it requires tightening the blade several times
while out working. No, there is no requirement to change a chain
until it is dull. As long as it is making sawdust it is fine.
Most chainsaw blades are filed so they are "safer" and don't take
large bites. This is controlled by the height of the rakers. A
chain might be sharp, but not taking very large chips that will
require filing the rakers down lower - some pros keep the rakers
quite a bit lower to have a more aggressive chain.

When tensioning the chain, hold the blade up and tension until the
chain has slack, but the drive links don't come completely out of
the blade slot on the bottom of the chain. It is quite normal to
have gouges, nicks, and grooves in the drive sprocket. Make sure
you are spraying a small bit of oil while cutting - it helps
clean, cool, and lube the chain.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Wayne" wrote in message
I have a chainsaw where the chain wants to not stay in the bottom
of
the blade. There were some notches (2 sets) in the drive
gear/sprocket
(clutch hub) so I replaced that. I figured once it moves over to
the
outboard notch, the chain wouldn't stay in the blade.
Once a motorcycle chain stretches, it will wear out the
sprockets
faster. The chainsaw chain stretches like crazy compared to a
motorcycle. The chain is driven differently on the chainsaw
though.
So like on a motorcycle should the chain be replace when the
sprocket is
replaced?

The saw worked fine with the chain out of the blade. I do have a
groove
in the plastic cover that holds down the blade.

Thanks,
Wayne D.