Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

tim birr wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:06 am, "RBM" wrote:

There are a variety of grades of receptacles. What you should be using is
a better than residential grade receptacle, not a higher amperage rated
one. In the US, it is incorrect to install 20 amp receptacles on 15 amp
circuits, which may or may not be what you've done, as you didn't mention
the ampacity of the circuit.- Hide quoted text -

Have no idea about the amps stuff for the electric outlets , just
using what an electrician told me to use after I had him here several
years ago to swap out my "split buss" electrical main panel. I think
that was the term. It had no main shut-off and was always hot.

I would recommend using 15A "spec grade" receptacles, and also use "spec
grade" for any replacement switches as well. I too have done the
"replace the receps because they won't hold a plug anymore" dance.
Yeah, the "residential grade" stuff will probably last 10 years or so,
but why not use the best stuff when most of the "cost" of the job is
your labor?

if your new recep looks like this:

http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=CR15-I

then you're good.

if it looks like this:

http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=CR20-I

that's a 20A recep (note the added sideways slot on the neutral side;
it'll accept a NEMA 5-15 (standard household 120V) plug or a 5-20 (120V
20A) plug. Those should only be used on a circuit with a 20A breaker.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel