Posted to alt.home.repair
tim birr tim birr is offline

Default Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

On Dec 25, 5:06*am, "RBM" wrote:

There are a variety of grades of receptacles. What you should be using is
a better than residential grade receptacle, not a higher amperage rated
one. In the US, it is incorrect to install 20 amp receptacles on 15 amp
circuits, which may or may not be what you've done, as you didn't mention
the ampacity of the circuit.- Hide quoted text -

Have no idea about the amps stuff for the electric outlets , just
using what an electrician told me to use after I had him here several
years ago to swap out my "split buss" electrical main panel. I think
that was the term. It had no main shut-off and was always hot.

Made me nervous when I had to replace a faulty water heater circuit
breaker before I had the panel upgraded. I wore rubber boots. Two
pairs of thick rubber gloves, stood on a board and said my prayers
when I did that circuit breaker swap out.

The new outlets he told me to use seem pretty quality -- and of course
cost $4.50 a pop. They seem to be more "rubberized" sort of material
instead of the brittle plastic of the contractor-installed original
outlets.

I originally asked the electrician how to remove the wires from the
"spring catches" without breaking apart the old outlet. He just
ignored my question and gave me an empty outlet package and told to
replace them with "this kind."