Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Marble planters

Nonny wrote:

I enjoy writing, and now that I think about it, I think I'll
write a monograph about some of the insurance issues we faced
with the many things I'd built that were lost in the fire and
how we worked it out with State Farm. It just might help you
or some of the other good folk here in the newsgroup and r.w.w.
if they get into a similar bind, have a tornado or other
insurable disaster.

Like you, I had a history of photos and inventory sheets dating
back to the 70's. My boss then was a very good and smart fellow
who had a lake cottage burn to the ground with nobody within 10
miles of it. He told me about his frustration in documenting even
what he'd lost, let alone remembering it. I went home that night
and did 35mm slides of everything, and the actually kept things
updated and in the safe deposit box.

Like you also, I felt that State Farm went out of its way to be
honest and fair. In over 1800 line items, I had nothing
challenged, since I had photos and documentation. As I said, I
think I'll write a few paragraphs about how to do it, since it
sure saved my fat rump from problems.

Please do so as it can really help to know what to do.

When I was a kid we had a house fire, as an adult, two places I worked at
had fires. They are a lot of work and details make a huge difference in
what you get out of it .

Documentation is very important. Going from memory, most of us would forget
at least 25% of what we own and have accumulated over the years.

If you own a business, get Business Interruption Insurance. It can make the
difference between re-starting your business and starting a new career as a
bagger at the supermarket.

Get a good independent adjuster. Yes, they get 5% or more, but . . . .
I know a restaurant that had a kitchen fire and the insurance company
offered him $20,000 to cover repairs and cleaning. He was ready to accept,
but hiring an adjuster instead, he settled for $200,000.