Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:01:07 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

tim birr wrote:

The reason I am curious is because breaking the tab was not all that
easy. The top half broke right off, but it took a lot of digging with
a galvanized nail, screwdriver etc. to break the other half of the
tab. It took me about 20 minutes. There has to be a better
way...maybe if I had needlenose "nippers," but I don't.

Did you try to cut it or just bend it back and forth until it breaks?
I think you're supposed to do the latter.

And I think they're designed so you can put in a moderately wide
screwdriver under the "horizontal" part and bend it one direction with
that. What they often call an electrician's screwdriver, iirc, pretty
long an dnarrow enough for the screws that hold the wall plates on.
Anyhow, that's what Santa uses.

You can spend thousands of dollars on tools, and fill a whole shop with
them. More importantly, however, is acquiring a couple dozen types and
sizes of "pliers": needle-nose, slip-ring, locking, nippers, dikes,
tweezers, forceps, and the like.
Same with screwdrivers.
Basic hand tools are the backbone of any well-equipped shop.
Jon

I've found that no matter many tools I have, at home or with me at the
time, I need every one of them.

And no matter how few tools I have with me, I can still get it done.

It's amazing.