Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Drill Bits

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Can someone give me a quick primer on drill bits? All I think I know is
that high speed steel is the worst. Carbide tips are good. Where do
cobalt and black oxide fit into the mix? My interest in is "standard"
drill bits for thin metals and wood rather than masonry.

My Craftsmen sets are showing their age and wear. Where is a good place
to buy drill bits? Should I look at an industrial supplier rather than a
retailer?

IME yes. I have some regular old HSS bits from McMaster-Carr and haven't
had any issues with them in light use. The nice thing about HSS is that
they can be resharpened.

If your Craftsman bits are just old and dull, you might try sharpening
them rather than buying new ones.

nate

You and Steve made the same suggestion, but that doesn't solve the problem
of my missing bits from my set!

Don't worry.
They'll turn up.
Or they won't.