Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E C & E is offline

Default Switches on 30 y.o. tools

wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:11:02 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"C & E" wrote in message
Many of my old Craftsman power tools have the switches going bad and
they
don't carry them anymore. Most of the stuff is from the '60's and
early
'70's - circular saw, scroll saw with the rotating blade shaft and a
nice
small router. I am mostly interested in the scroll saw because it's
the
best of the three. Actually, come to thinkof it, I can replace the
router switch with a standard SPST electronic switch (think, your first
car's dashboard with the under-dash lights). Is it salvageable?

Seriously, I have found switches all kinds of places for various tools.
noticed a lot of my older power tools had standard production switches
that I was able to find from third parties or in some cases the OEM
manufacturer. Its going to take some looking, and of course you are
going
to have to open up the tool to see what it has. If it's a built to suit
switch it may not be replaceable, but if it was a generic production
switch I am sure you can find a replacement.

The sitch is like a trigger and built into the grip. It's sort of a
rocker
being hinged on the forend of it and the back swings up when squeezed.
I'm
guessing that I'm hosed.

It that the actual switch? In most tools, that trigger swings up to
press on a little generic switch inside the handle.

Thanks for the thought, salty and Bob. I'll tear into it after C.mas but
the Craftsman circ saw had a similar looking switch and it was a specially
made switch. Thanks again.