Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default What's your favorite "stuck bolt" removal process?

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:12:18 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:14:53 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

I have heard a couple of referances to "Kroil "& "PBlaster " in this
thread, but to the ebst of my knowledge, neither are available in Australia.
What are they made of? I've used a mixture of diesel fuel and automatic
transmission oil a few times and it seems to work reasonably well.

SNIP

Hey Grumpy,

I have never seen Kroil here locally, but we can get PBblaster in a
spray-bomb. Big bucks.

Anyway, I was happy recently with a concoction noted here on RCM, a
50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Worked for me on a 1/2" socket head cap
screw that was rusted in over it's 2" threaded length. Someone else
had actually broken the side out of the head in a previous attempt.
Soaked it for a couple of days in the mix, and used no heat.

I've made up a bottle full for future use, with a "mixture label" on
it so I won't forget.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

I buy PB Blaster at Walmart in Port Huron, MI $3.79/spray can.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada