Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do old fridge's go CLUNK ?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:03:33 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Willie The Wimp wrote:
Little brick bungalow in midwest US, built in 1954. Mostly original
stuff. Floor-boards creak a good bit. I'm alone here.

Every night, in bed, I hear a CLUNK from the direction of the kitchen.
Often a second one, not too long after the first. I've heard it while in
the dining room as well. Never while I was in the kitchen.

I orignally figgered it was in the studs or rafters, possibly
where they attach to the forced-air ductwork. If so, I may never
find the cause.

Fridge is an Amana built around 1984. Has given very good service.

It sometimes sounds like it is coming from the fridge, but I can't
tell for sure. Do they CLUNK when the compressor shuts off?

Any other ideas?

Thx,
Willie

possible. I had an old dehumidifier that used to clunk and rattle when
it shut off.

Does fridge have an icemaker? Might be the pipes knocking when the
water shuts off.

nate

We had a refrigerator going on 30-some years of use. It always
sounded like someone was frantically typing on an old manual
typewriter, stopping and starting occasionally, almost haunting...