Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

tim birr wrote:
So, I decided to spend Christmas Eve replacing a wall outlet that no
longer held electrical plugs very well.

Swapped out the single white wire, the single red wire, the single
black wire and connected the green ground wire.

Now, said outlet works fine....but...

Originally, I had a wall switch across the room that turned off the
power to the outlet I just replaced, as well as to a second outlet in
the same room.

Now, the wall switch no longer controls the power to the outlets.

The wall toggle switch can be on or off, doesn't matter, power still
flows to both outlets.

What did I screw up. In other words, how can I get it back to where
when I put the toggle switch to off, both table lamps turn off....

Disconnect the black wire, put a wire-nut on it and call it good.

If you do this, both outlets will be energized by the switch. If you want
only ONE of the two outlets switched and the other live all the time,
there's more to it.