Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:46:36 -0800 (PST), tim birr
wrote:

So, I decided to spend Christmas Eve replacing a wall outlet that no
longer held electrical plugs very well.

Swapped out the single white wire, the single red wire, the single
black wire and connected the green ground wire.

Now, said outlet works fine....but...

Originally, I had a wall switch across the room that turned off the
power to the outlet I just replaced, as well as to a second outlet in
the same room.

Now, the wall switch no longer controls the power to the outlets.

The wall toggle switch can be on or off, doesn't matter, power still
flows to both outlets.

What did I screw up. In other words, how can I get it back to where
when I put the toggle switch to off, both table lamps turn off....

There are "break off" tabs between the screw terminals on each side of
the receptacle. Normally you don't break them off and then you can
hook the wires to either of the two screws on a side. But when you
have one of the outlets on a switch you need to break off the tab on
the side that had two wires going to it. I can't be certain of the
colors that were used on yours but I would expect that one side of the
switch has one white wire going to it and you would not break off the
tab on that side. The other side probably has a black and red wire
going to it's two screws. You would break off the tab that goes
between the two screws. That's assuming it has a tab, it's possible
that cheap ones don't have the tab.
There's a picture here
http://www.handymanclub.com/uploaded...rass-tab-1.jpg

The black and red should be connected to the brass colored screws and
the white (neutral) wire to the silver colored ones.