Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill Bits

High speed are used for soft stuff like plastic. They last a
while on metal.

Colbalt and black oxide and titanium are supposed to last
longer than high speed.

Carbide are for masonry, ceramic, glass, etc.

I'm not sure an indsutrial is any better. My problem is that
most drill assortments take up a couple dozen cubic inches
of air space around a dozen or so drill bits. They used to
sell drill bits in a flat case that I really liked.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Can someone give me a quick primer on drill bits? All I
think I know is that
high speed steel is the worst. Carbide tips are good. Where
do cobalt and black
oxide fit into the mix? My interest in is "standard" drill
bits for thin metals
and wood rather than masonry.

My Craftsmen sets are showing their age and wear. Where is a
good place to buy
drill bits? Should I look at an industrial supplier rather
than a retailer?