Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill Bits

On 12/24/2009 12:51 PM Steve B spake thus:

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Excellent information, Roger. Regarding masonry bits, some packages say
they are usable in hammer drills, some are not. Is there a way to look at
a bit and tell whether it is rated for use in a hammer drill? While
cleaning up my shop yesterday, I found a brand new, in-the-box, hammer
drill that I received as a Christmas present a few years ago. Go figure.

I know you got a new drill, but in the future, if you need to do any serious
drilling (lots of holes, or holes larger than 3/8") consider a roto hammer
with SDS bits. They lock in, and a roto hammer compared to a hammer drill
is like comparing a hand drill to an electric drill. Lots of good used ones
available, too. I got a nice Makita at a yard sale for $20, and have used
it to drill holes up to 1". It also has a chisel setting, and I have bought
a set of points for breaking concrete and stones and such. Be sure to get
the SDS, as some brand names (Hilti comes to mind) have proprietary drill
bits that can run $100! SDS bits at the Borg are very reasonable, and if
you can find them at yard sales, DIRT CHEAP.

I was going to say before you replied that there are hammer drills and
there are rotary hammers, which aren't the same thing.

But what's the difference? I know I've used rotary hammers w/SDS bits,
and that they make short work of drilling holes in concrete. But I
really don't know the difference between the two types of tools.

One thing's for sure, for the OP: those carbide masonry bits you get at
the big orange store or equivalent are *not* made to be used in anything
but a regular old drill. That much I know.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet