Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Drill Bits

mcp6453 wrote:
Can someone give me a quick primer on drill bits? All I think I know
is that high speed steel is the worst.

Wrong
__________

Carbide tips are good.

Yes if you are drilling masonry, glass, tile, etc.
___________

Where do cobalt and black oxide fit into the mix?

Cobalt = hard = for steel especially thick steel. Ditto titanium but those
are coated, not solid. Black oxide is just a finish, helps prevent rust
(red oxide), nothing more.
______________

My interest in is "standard" drill bits for thin metals and wood rather
than masonry.

For wood, brad point bits are nice, no good for anything else except maybe
plastic. If you don't want brad points, just get HSS.
________________

My Craftsmen sets are showing their age and wear. Where is a good
place to buy drill bits?

Any place
____________

Should I look at an industrial supplier
rather than a retailer?

Not much point in it unless you are buying a bunch and can get them cheaper
including shipping.

IMO, bits are disposable items...when they no longer cut well, toss and buy
another.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...