Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] david.cawkwell@tesco.net is offline

Default Consumer Unit and high current draw 46A.

On Dec 24, 6:05*pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

*wrote:
Hi group,

I am considering installing two 12kw air source heat pumps to replace
my old oil fired boiler.

The trianco activair units quote a start up current of 23amps which
then drops to 17.7amps for normal operation.

Question.

Will a modern 100amp consumer unit be able to handle this?

Will it be simply a case of having two 32amp mcb in the consumer unit
and feed each air pump with a cable from
each? For the coldest periods I would expect both units to be
operating most of the time therefore drawing 36amps.

How much current can you draw from a domestic supply cable? If one
consumer unit would be possibly overloaded could I simply have 2
100amp consumer units? One for the house and one for the air pumps.

Advice please.

What's the rating of your main fuse and electricity meter - because they
might determine the max current you can draw.

What size property are you heating - something akin to Buck House? 36 amps
is about 9kW *just* to drive the pumps! You can heat a fair-sized property
with 9kW of heat - and gas is a lot cheaper than on-peak electricity!
--
Cheers,
Roger

I am heating with oil so air source is a good lot cheaper than oil
1kw in = 3-4kw out. Plus very little servicing and no oil tank
required.
An average size house requires 12kw of heat just
to maintain temperature in cold spells.